Tuesday 5 February 2013

Fruit Of The Gods For All

Reason 107 why I love my neighbourhood. Some kind soul has grown lemons and placed them on the nature strip for anyone to take. I took 3, they were delicious and large and nutritious and made my lunch flavoursome. I'm lucky to live in a neighbourhood with fruit trees on almost every property, and while not all neighbours put their fruit out for the taking, there are a large number of trees where the fruit hangs over the property line. If you know how to pick a piece of fruit, (give it a light tug and only if it comes into your hand with ease, it is ready), it is accessible and not strictly in someone's yard, then it is completely acceptable to help yourself to God's spoils. This summer I have had apricots, oranges, apples, lemons, figs, grapes, nectarines and loquats. Yummy yum yum yum. And being straight off the tree, it tastes best.  I would like to see a world where if everyone who had fruit trees took the time to pick the fruit they could no more eat or give to friends and offer it to people who pass on by. I have a feeling this would be a good thing and all any fears we have over why we shouldn't do this may well prove to be false.  Or in the least, bag up the goodies and head down to the nearest kitchen for those in need.

SUGARBEE XX   06/02/13

No comments:

Post a Comment