Friday 15 March 2013

A Clear Sky

Once upon a time I would sit in my classroom and thrill because there were large windows to look out. And lucky for me, large windows appeared semi often in my school career. So why large windows? Large windows provided a large view, which in turn provided opportunity to challenge myself by finding a clear sky out there. I would shift around in my seat trying desperately to find the solid colour blue. There could be no clouds, and no tops of buildings ruining my view, this was simply not allowed in my young mind. It had to be pure, uninterrupted blue and until I found that scene, I would search and search and search. And when I found my perfect blue view, life was so sweet, and I would slip into that blue without abandon, no longer in the classroom, off on an adventure though nothing but space, clarity, no thoughts, no words, no birds, nothing but blue. It was a feeling of freedom, perfection, and perhaps traits of an obsessive compulsion that never took hold. What did I miss instead? Not a lot I assume, I turned out just fine, I managed to follow enough to get through, but what did I gain? An eternal world view, a place to go in times of pain, a sense of serenity, and a space to process thoughts clearly. This I believe was also the perfect training ground for my imagination. I say build all classrooms with big windows, let children's minds run free, and celebrate daily whatever they see. 

SUGARBEE XX   15/03/13

No comments:

Post a Comment