Wednesday 6 March 2013

The Village Life

Here we have the local village closest to the place I currently call home. Preston West Village. What you can't see are the boutique cafes, shops, a friendly IGA (should stand for Independent Grocers of Awesomeness), the post office and a fish & chip shop. What you can see however is a collection of wires threading their way across the sky, too low for planes, perfect for utilities like lighting, phones and power in amongst tram wires. This is the busy, this is industry pumping along day and night, keeping us powered and safe and arriving on time. What catches my eye is the juxtaposition of busy next to old drab lifeless buildings looking like they house curtain sellers or accountants, and such things. Preston West is a funny mix, and as much as I don't find the building in the photo with vertical blinds attractive, I would almost be sad to see it change. It represents long hot summers that never end, something akin to a cowboy town. I imagine a river flowing not far from here, maybe a street or two behind what we see,  railway lines carrying no more than one train per day, and of course an old walk bridge that sits above the rail lines to keep the towns folk safe when crossing. I once walked across such a bridge when I was young, holding Poppas hand, in a place much like this, named Huntly which I assume hasn't much changed in all those years. 

SUGARBEE XX   06/03/13

No comments:

Post a Comment