Monday 14 January 2013

Happy Gate

This is Happy Gate, the perfect combination between old and modern. The gate sits out front of someone’s house, the entrance to the property; it marks the line between theirs and mine. As demonstrated here, it's important if you are going to mark off the line, then do it with personality. I'm thinking when this gate was built and installed, and if I take into account all factors from memory, the suburb, the style of house, the size of the property it guards, the connecting wall and surrounding trees, and finally the design of the gate, at a total guess I'm going with 1930's design. An internet search under a number of variants of gate design history gave me no answer but threw me a fascinating overview of the many different gates we have built and set to good use over time. What also struck me was the high percentage of personalization in gate design. This then links up my comment about combining old and modern in a way I hadn't intended, for today the market is about personalizing everything, when what I saw were the 4 little text faces, one being shock, and the others with just enough curve to show happy. 

SUGARBEE XX   15/01/13

No comments:

Post a Comment