Thursday 2 May 2013

A Trolley Full Of Butternuts

And what do we have here? We have a trolley full of butternuts, a root vegetable related to the pumpkin, sweet and delicious and full of nutritious goodness. I could assume these butternuts were on their way to the soup pot, seeing as they are sitting in a laneway full of food outlets in Centre Place, Melbourne City. And I wonder how many butternuts there are in the trolley, where they came from and indeed where they were grown. Today's world means they may be local or silly enough all the way from China. Why does the world ship food around the world when local economy makes so much more sense? Stop me now before I go on a rampage about deforestation, and how we can fix it, proven, yet not adopted practice for what reasons? So back to the butternut, humble in the trolley, saying nothing but saying plenty to me, about colour, balance, weight and distribution, and the trolley diligently doing its job, saying nothing, but teaching me about physics, rotation, push and pull relationships and strength bearing. All this I see, but more than that I see poetry in motion, the trolley standing still in time, alone, amused, and on the way to paradise.

SUGARBEE XX   03/05/13

No comments:

Post a Comment