Wednesday 22 May 2013

Only The Wise Would

Street names can be somewhat fantastic. Imagine having Wisewould as your surname? If you were smart, you would make a name like Wisewould work for you in a multitude of ways. When someone asked you if you would do something in particular, you could simply reply "Mr wisewould" and be done with the whole conversation. Where on earth did Wisewould come from? For Melburnians, I have included this link to where Melbourne street names originated: http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melbourne_details.php?id=7228 . And for something else of interest, I found all about street names http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_or_road_name including that a street name is also called an odonym. What other street names out there are of note? Have you ever lived on a street with a difficult to say or spell street name? Have you ever lived on a street where you loved the street name?  I once lived near the intersection of Eastwood and Bond streets, and I would regularly have tough guy and secret agent daydreams as I rode past the intersection. And not far away there was the intersection of Wild and High Streets. And then in Melbourne city are the 4 parallel streets in order of King, William, Queen, Elizabeth which is all too fabulous really. I have lived in many houses in my life and if I tried, I could maybe compile a list of all the street names. Actually I wish I had a photo of each of my bedrooms, or one part of the house, like the front door or letterbox.

SUGARBEE XX   22/05/13

No comments:

Post a Comment