Friday 10 May 2013

Pete's Christmas Spirit

Late today with my post and my biggest apologies for that, yesterday got away from me and sometimes it's impossible to avoid. But back to the post, and might I introduce you to a cute character whose name I do not know and who might not have a name even. So I will call him Chris for Mr. Christmas Tree. He is the guard to the tiniest home I know, for he sits at the doorway of what is nothing more than a hole in the wall, and in this hole in the wall lives a well known and long term resident of Melbourne's homeless community. Pete. I found him in passing one day as I rode down an laneway as I regularly do, getting to know Melbourne with it's incredible structure of laneway living with shops, cafes, business, but many containing no more than building back entrances. And this is one of the laneways Pete lives in. Points to him for creativity, he has enough space to sit up, but not stand up, and for two people to comfortably lie down side by side. Pete has set up his home with some crates for shelving and otherwise is surrounded only by the bare essentials of life. It makes me think all we take for granted and what homeless people live without. Forget the fridge, washing machine, bed, clean clothes every day, a cupboard full of food, a TV or any electricity, so knock out warmth and night light while you are at it. It's a hard life, but it is a life many end up walking like Pete and just like Pete many always have a smile for you, who always have a hello for you, and who just like Pete are as valuable as you or me.

SUGARBEE XX   10/5/13

No comments:

Post a Comment